Friday, October 1, 2010

Grayscale Delight


Photo by: Wynn Michael Wesson

After gobbling two mondito burritos with my friend, we headed across the street to find a pleasant surprise. An arch full of gray color and pyramids was laid before us! I quickly dropped my belongings, threw on my notorious 150mm lens, and began to imagine a piece of art for my easel. As the young Ansel Adams once said, “A good photograph is knowing where to stand” and I took this advice and applied it to my masterpiece. I set my stance, focused on a peculiar angle, and spent twenty minutes waiting for the perfect photo. Click! The photograph comes out greater than expected, almost as great as my daguerreotype in Mr. Tylczak’s class! I truly love this photo because it displays my hunger for unique angles and shows a complete tonal range that only dodging and burning could have helped, but I did not use Photoshop tricks! All in all, I gave this my all, and in the end, all of my all was shown through my photograph, truly a sight to behold and Ansel Adams would be proud!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the use of lines in this photo. The vertical and curving lines draw you through the photo, but I also noticed the horizontal lines that draw you through horizontally. The picture is a great use of the rule of thirds, too. This is overall an interesting picture, and I like how the left side of the picture is lighter while the right side is darker.

-MM ERHS

Anonymous said...

Everything about this photo I love. The lightning is grayish and black. With the leading the lines in the center of the photo, bring a grabbing attention feel. On the right side the lightning gets darker. And the pyramids on the side are all being lined up which is also leading the lines.
FPHS-Cameron H.

Anonymous said...

This is the most interesting photo I’ve found on Roger’s photo blog. It is minimal and you’ve nailed the composition. The gradation of the light furthers an understanding of composition. Excellent photo.

-Xavier ERHS