Monday, April 9, 2012

The One Ring

Photo by: Brandon Han One of my friends suggested taking pictures of his ring. I looked at it and thought, “Yeah, I can make this work”. While editing the picture I decided to make it antique looking so I added a channel mixer to adjust the red. Then converted a duplicated layer to smart filters with Gaussian blur. Unsharp mask, reduced noise, and high pass. I duplicated the layer again then turned off the effects and blended it with soft light. After that I added vibrance to it. Lastly, I adjusted the photo with levels and curves. So the result gave a silver ring a golden look to it while making the background white.

2 comments:

Marissa B.-ERHS said...

From such a simple thing as a ring, you have created a very beautiful photograph. I like the lighting in this picture, how the highlights and lowlights show on the metal and the slight shadows on the surface of whatever you placed the ring on. I was very impressed when I read that you had turned this silver ring gold, if I had just seen the picture I would have assumed it was a gold or bronze or whatever ring and not silver in the slightest. I really love the contrast you used with the white background to make the gold stand out that much more, it definitely improved the photo. This is a fantastic photo, the simplicity leaving so much to wonder; where did the ring come from, does it hold any meaning to the owner, was it just a trinket bought on a whim? Very nice job.

Claire-ERHS said...

The simplicity of this picture is very cool, I love the effect of the white background. I wish you had used the rule of thirds a little bit more, but that's just personal preference.